1. Write the words into rwo columns.
trick foggy freat fit luck forty feel large fill feet
words with a long sound words with a short sound
2. a) Write what your best friend likes or doesn’t like. Use the verbs from the box in the -ing form.
doesn't really like
play the guitar
swim in the swimming pool
write true stories for the school newspaper
wash up after meals
speak on the phone
argue with teachers
get up early
1. It seems to me that my friend loves playing the guitar.
2. In my opinion my friend loves listen to music.
3. As I see it my friend loves swimming pool.
4. I believe that my friend get up early.
5. My friend doesn't mind arguing with teachers.
6. My friend doesn't really like washing up after in.
7. My friend enjoys speaking on the phone.
b) Check if you are right. Write down the questions to your friend and ask them.
1. Do you like playing the guitar?
2. Do you love listen to music?
3. Do you love swimming in the pool?
4. Do you get up early?
5. Don't you mind again with teachers?
6. Don't you really like washing up after meals?
7. Do you enjoy speaking on the phone?
c) Mark with "+" every sentence from part (a) that was right.
3. Rephrase the sentences — make them shorter using the -ing form. The first one is done for you.
1. Do you mind if I open the window?
Do you mind (my) opening the window?
2. Does she mind if we travel by air?
Does she mind our travelling by air?
3. Does she mind if he takes part in the competition?
Does she mind his taking part in the competition?
4. Does he mind if we come to dinner?
Does he mind our coming to dinner?
5. Does he mind if we borrow his car?
Does he mind our borrowing his car?
4. The biographies of Andrei Sakharov and Winston Churchill art mixed up here. Separata the biographies and write them down (See Ex. 42-44 on p. 18, Student's Book.)
Andrei Saharov was horn on thr 21st of May. 1921 in Moscow. Winston Churchill was born on the 30th of November, 1874 in Britain, in a rich and famous family. He graduated from the Moscow State University and became one of the most famous researchers in physics. In 1895 he graduated from Sandhurst Military Academy and in five years time, in 1900, became a member of Parliament. As a scientist he understood the danger ot atomic wars and fotight against them. He was the Prime Minister during the Second World War. He also fought for human rights, progress and peace all over the world. In 1975 A. Saharov won the Nobel Peace Prize.
Andrei Saharov was born on the 21st of May, 1921 in Moscow. He graduated from the Moscow State Universtood the danger of atomic wars and fought against them. He also fought for human rights, progress and place all over the world. In 1975 A.Saharov von the Nobel Peace Prize.
Winston Churchill was born on the 30th of November, 1874 in Britain, in a rich and famous family. In 1895 he graduated from Sandhurst Military Academy and in five years time, in 1900, became a member of Parliament. He was the Prime Minister during the Second World War.